As of tonight, the previous rendering system is still in EWL, but horribly broken -- the only thing that will display is the window background (which you can customize by editing background key in ~/.ewl/themes/defaultTheme/EwlWindow.db).
I'm pretty comfortable with Mutt now. It's amazing how fast I switched. I've made several tweaks to Tom Gilbert's default muttrc file -- sooner or later I'll post the file for all to see.
That's about it for right now -- tomorrow I'm going to rip apart the theme engine in EWL and make it support Evas images. It's a real pain in the ass to break this stuff, but Evas support will make it all worthwhile in the end.